(written from a Production point of view)
The second book in the Lost Years Saga!
A Flag Full of Stars is a Pocket TOS novel – #54 in the numbered series, and the second in the Lost Years series – written by Brad Ferguson. Published by Pocket Books, it was first released in April 1991.
- From the book jacket
- Eighteen months have passed since the Enterprise completed her historic five-year mission. Her legendary crew has separated, taking new assignments that span the galaxy.
- On Earth, Admiral James T. Kirk has married and started a new life as the Chief of Starfleet Operations where he is overseeing the refit of his beloved ship, now commanded by a new Captain – Willard Decker. Kirk's only tie to his former crewmates is his Chief of Staff, a young Lieutenant Commander named Kevin Riley.
- Kirk's new, quiet life changes when he meets a scientist named G'dath who is on the brink of perhaps the greatest scientific discovery in a century. G'dath's invention could mean tremendous strides in Federation technology, or, in the wrong hands, the subjugation of countless worlds.
- Klingon agents capture this new technology, and Admiral Kirk and Lt. Commander Riley are all that stand between peace and devastation for the entire Federation.
- As part of the Lost Years saga, this story takes place between Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
- Although Ferguson developed the concept and outline, and produced four drafts of the novel, the final publication draft was written by J.M. Dillard after a number of editorial issues. (Voyages of Imagination, pp. 88-89)
- The novel explains some of the refit procedures that turned the Original Series Enterprise into the one seen in the feature films. One of the major overhauls was that the saucer section was removed and landed on Earth where it was rebuilt and then launched back into space.
- A Flag Full of Stars at Memory Beta, the wiki for licensed Star Trek works
- A Flag Full of Stars at Wikipedia
- A Flag Full of Stars at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|#53: Ghost-Walker||Pocket TOS
|Mutiny on the Enterprise (#45)||Titan Books release order||Crisis on Centaurus (#47)|
|The Lost Years||Lost Years||Traitor Winds|