(written from a Production point of view)
When an attack on Starbase 28 leaves a surprise prisoner under Cadet Thira Sidhu’s watch, she is faced with making a decision that may threaten her standing in Starfleet.
- Please obey copyright policy; do not copy material from other sources without permission.
Memorable quotes Edit
" You want to negotiate with the bastards using torpedoes on us!?"
- - Christopher Pike to Thira Sidhu, as he attempts to convince her to release him
" I know that a challenge like this might seem extreme, even inhumane; but war is both of those things. We need to know that you’ll honor your commitment to Starfleet even with those you hold dear are on the line. Even when old wounds are triggered and loopholes appear. "
- - Christopher Pike to Thira Sidhu, as he explains the reason for the simulation
Background information Edit
- The title of this episode was first revealed in a trailer released on 20 July 2019 at San Diego Comic-Con.
- The release date was announced on 5 October 2019 at New York Comic-Con. 
- Alex Kurtzman confirmed on 7 October 2019 that this episode features Christopher Pike. 
- The episode's title is a reference to a quote by President John F. Kennedy: "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." (citation needed • edit)
- Pike mentions a number of previously mentioned Starfleet regulations. These include Regulation 191 (Article 14), which was previously used by Kathryn Janeway, ("Equinox") and the reserve activation clause, invoked by Admiral Nogura at the request of Admiral James T. Kirk to "draft" doctor Leonard H. McCoy in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. About this clause, McCoy points out that it is "little-known" and "seldom-used." (Star Trek: The Motion Picture)
Links and references Edit
- Amrit Kaur as Cadet Thira Sidhu
- Steve Boyle as Security Officer #1
- Colette Whitaker as Station 28 computer voice
Uncredited co-stars Edit
2250s; Berellium; Berellium casualties; Bouman, USS; cadet; captain; Constitution-class (unnamed); engineering; inventory section; lieutenant commander; loophole; mask; mutiny; phaser; reserve activation clause; security officer; semester; Sidhu's husband; Starbase 28; Starfleet; Starfleet General Orders and Regulations; Tholian; war; yellow alert
| Previous episode:|
"The Trouble with Edward"
| Star Trek: Short Treks|
| Next episode:|
"Ephraim and Dot"