An astronomical unit (abbreviated au) was a unit of length on the interplanetary scale, roughly equal to the (average) distance between Earth and Sol. One astronomical unit was equal to 150 million kilometers, or approximately 93 million miles.
Comparative list of length Edit
- The location of Klingon prison ship Captain Gabriel Lorca was being held aboard was located 0.7 au from USS Discovery at the time of its discovery. (DIS: "Choose Your Pain")
- When Captain Sisko's runabout was approached by two Jem'Hadar attack ships in the Badlands in 2373, they initially were 1 au away. (DS9: "Blaze of Glory")
- The intense energy cloud created by V'ger was approximately 2 au in diameter. (Star Trek: The Motion Picture)
- The map of the inner system of the Talos system depicted the distance from the binary stars on a line. At every ten intervals, there was a mark which represented one astronomical unit. The map showed that the inner system reached 3.4 au. (TOS: "The Cage")
- When searching for Harry Kim in 2371, the USS Voyager performed a subspace scan with a scan radius of 10 au. (VOY: "Emanations")
- The USS Europa was still 800 au behind the rest of the fleet that had already arrived at the location where the later Battle of the Binary Stars occurred. (DIS: "Battle at the Binary Stars")