(written from a Production point of view)
- Montgomery Scott, the endlessly resourceful chief engineer of the Starship Enterprise, has been a familiar presence in our collective imagination for over three decades. All around the world, everyone knows "Scotty" – but far fewer know the true story of actor James Doohan, who has brought Starfleet's legendary "miracle worker" to life for three seasons on television and in seven major motion pictures. Here at last are all the colorful details of Doohan's life and times, including:
- How war hero Jimmy Doohan charged the beach at Normandy on D-Day, and how World War II left its mark on him forever.
- How Doohan landed the part of Scotty on the classic Star Trek television series, and how the character acquired an accent.
- Memories of William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, and all of the original crew of the USS Enterprise, and the feuds and friendships that formed among them.
- How Doohan made his peace with Star Trek: The Next Generation – and brought Scotty back to television for one very special episode.
- The long and affectionate bond between Doohan and generations of Trek fans – and how Star Trek brought true love into Doohan's life.
- Beam Me Up, Scotty is an entertaining and indispensable look at the unforgettable personality behind one of the twentieth century's most enduring icons.
- Birth of a Notion
- Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
- That's Entertainment
- Giving Hitler the Finger
- You're in the Army Now
- Waiting For Action
- D Day
- Junior Birdman
- How You Gonna Keep 'Em Down on the Farm...?
- Treading the Boards
- The Year That Was
- Jimmy Hollywood
- Family Album
- Star Stuck
- Fan Dancing
- The Continuing Voyages
- One Trek Beyond
The title of this book references the famous misquote "Beam me up, Scotty", attributed to Captain James T. Kirk. Though a widely known catchphrase, Kirk never actually says this exact phrase in any canon Star Trek work. Similar phrases include "Scotty, beam us up" (TOS: "The Gamesters of Triskelion", "The Savage Curtain"), "Beam us up, Scotty" (TAS: "The Lorelei Signal", "The Infinite Vulcan"), "Beam me up" (TOS: "This Side of Paradise"), and "Scotty, beam me up" (Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home).