(written from a Production point of view)
Quinn is best known for his roles on four television series: as Sweeney the bartender on The Rifleman (co-starring Paul Fix); as Dr. Melnitz on The Odd Couple (with Garry Walberg); and as Mr. Van Rensselaer on All in the Family and its spin-off series, Archie Bunker's Place (both co-starring Jason Wingreen). He was also briefly attached to the TV series McMillan and Wife, starring John Schuck. He also appeared in several episodes of Mary Tyler Moore, The Bob Newhart Show, and The Rockford Files, among many others.
Quinn also appeared in numerous motion pictures, beginning with the 1960 war drama The Mountain Road, which starred Star Trek: The Original Series guest actor Glenn Corbett. He would go on to appear in 1962's Advise & Consent and in Alfred Hitchcock's 1963 classic The Birds. He would continue making film and television appearances throughout the next 26 years.
Bill Quinn died in 1994 at the age of 81. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier was his final acting appearance.
He was the father-in-law of Bob Newhart.
Other Trek connections
Although his lone Star Trek appearance was a brief one, Quinn has participated with many other Trek alumni in numerous projects.
- From the Terrace (1960) with John Warburton
- Psychic Killer (1975) with Whit Bissell
- Dead & Buried (1981) with Glenn Morshower and Michael Pataki
- Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983) with John Larroquette, Dick Miller, Bill Mumy, Larry Cedar, and William Schallert
- Lucky Stiff (1988) with Jeff Kober, W. Morgan Sheppard, Leigh J. McCloskey, and Larry Cedar
- The Pigeon (1969) with Ricardo Montalban
- Set This Town on Fire (1973) with Jeff Corey and Paul Fix
- Sin, American Style (1975) with Julie Newmar
- The Lindbergh Kidnapping Case (1976) with Cliff DeYoung and Quinn's Star Trek V co-star Laurence Luckinbill
- The Last Hurrah (1977) with Robert Brown and James B. Sikking
- Corey: For the People (1977) with John Rubinstein and Ronny Cox
- Terror Out of the Sky (1978) with Bruce French
- The Kids Who Knew Too Much (1981) with Lloyd Haynes and Larry Cedar
- Mysterious Two (1982) with Vic Tayback, Robert Pine, and Bruce French
- Dark Mirror (1984) with Stephen Collins and Robert DoQui
- Captains and the Kings with Cliff DeYoung and John de Lancie
- Backstairs at the White House with Paul Winfield, Robert Hooks, Bibi Besch, and Noble Willingham
- Roots: The Next Generations with Brock Peters, Bernie Casey, Percy Rodriguez, Bruce French, John Rubinstein, and Paul Winfield
- Scruples with Paul Carr, Kim Cattrall, and John de Lancie