(written from a Production point of view)
Kirk and Spock face their greatest crisis in a bold new adventure!
Black Fire is a Pocket TOS novel – #8 in the numbered series – written by Sonni Cooper. Published by Pocket Books, it was first released in January 1983. Spock is declared a traitor and James T. Kirk must choose to side with his friend or his duty as a Starfleet officer.
- From the book jacket
- When sabotage strikes the Enterprise, Spock's investigation leads him into an alliance with the Romulan and Klingon empires against the Tomarii, a bloodthirsty race for whom war is life itself. Spock is declared a traitor and sentenced to the Federation's highest-security prison, and Kirk must choose between friendship and duty, with dire consequences for himself, Spock, and the entire Federation if he's wrong.
- This is the only Star Trek novel written by Sonni Cooper.
- It features an introduction by Theodore Sturgeon.
- The Romulan commander played by actress Joanne Linville in TOS: "The Enterprise Incident" makes a cameo appearance. Spock asks if he may call her by name. She prefers that he forget she exists.
- Based on Chekov having just been promoted to lieutenant according to dialogue in the book, this story must take place some time between the original series and the first movie.
- A limited edition hardcover version was printed by Gregg Press in 1984.
- Captain James T. Kirk
- Commander Spock
- Chief Surgeon Leonard McCoy
- Lieutenant Commander Montgomery Scott
- Hikaru Sulu
- Lieutenant Pavel Chekov
- Lieutenant Commander Martin
- Science officer
- Lieutenant Commander Douglas
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|#7: Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan||Pocket TOS
|Doctor's Orders (#36)||Titan Books release order||Killing Time (#38)|