In 2265, at least five log entries were made on the captain's log for the USS Enterprise. They were all concerning the attempted extra-galactic probe beyond the galactic barrier by Captain James T. Kirk. (TOS: "Where No Man Has Gone Before")
- "Captain's log, stardate 1312.4. The impossible has happened. From directly ahead, we're picking up a recorded distress signal, the call letters of a vessel which has been missing for over two centuries. Did another Earth ship once probe out of the galaxy as we intend to do? What happened to it out there? Is this some warning they've left behind?"
- "Captain's log, stardate 1312.9. Ship's condition – heading back on impulse power only. Main engines burned out. The ship's space warp ability, gone. Earth bases which were only days away are now years in the distance. Our overriding question now is, what destroyed the Valiant? They lived through the barrier just as we have. What happened to them after that?"
- "Captain's log, stardate 1313.1. We're now approaching Delta Vega. Course set for a standard orbit. This planet, completely uninhabited, is slightly smaller than Earth. Desolate, but rich in crystal and minerals. Kelso's task – transport down with a repair party, try to regenerate the main engines, save the ship. Our task – transport down a man I've known for fifteen years, and if we're successful, maroon him there."
- "Captain's log, stardate 1313.3. Note commendations on Lieutenant Kelso and the engineering staff. In orbit above us, the engines of the Enterprise are almost fully regenerated. Balance of the landing party is being transported back up. Mitchell, whatever he's become, keeps changing, growing stronger by the minute."
- "Captain's log, stardate 1313.8. Add to official losses, Dr. Elizabeth Dehner. Be it noted she gave her life in performance of her duty. Lieutenant Commander Gary Mitchell. Same notation."
|Logs of the USS Enterprise|
|Captain's logs: 2250s • 2265 • 2266 • 2267 • 2268 • 2269 • 2270 • mid-2270s • 2285|
|Department logs: First officer's log • Medical log|
|Personal logs: Captain's personal log • James T. Kirk • Spock|