Written language Edit
Cardassian writing was composed of slender rectangular letters usually widening at the top. Lines of text were written both horizontally and vertically, radiating out from an elaborate circle motif. Lines of text also incorporated dots. (TNG: "Chain of Command, Part II"; DS9: "Tribunal", "Things Past")
Spoken language Edit
Odo was called odo'ital when he was studied at the Bajoran Institute of Science. The Bajorans at the institute intended to label Odo as "unknown sample", but all specimens had to be labelled in Cardassian, and the Bajorans mistranslated the term using odo'ital, which literally meant "nothing". (DS9: "Heart of Stone")
Words and phrases Edit
- Gul - a rank roughly analogous to a Federation captain.
- Glinn - a rank below Gul.
- Legate - a rank above Gul. (See: Cardassian ranks) (TNG: "The Wounded")
- Lek - Caradassian currency.
- Odo'ital - Nothing. (DS9: "Heart of Stone")
- Shri-tal - A ritual carried out when a Cardassian was near death. (DS9: "Ties of Blood and Water")
In the New Worlds, New Civilizations short story The Glories of the Hebitians, "Cardassian" means "People of Discipline" in their language.