(written from a Production point of view)
|Region A cover|
|Blu-ray Disc release|
|Series:||Star Trek: Discovery|
|No. of episodes:||15|
|No. of discs:||4|
|Run time:||671 minutes|
|Region A release date:||13 November 2018 (North America)|
26 December 2018 (Japan)
|Region B release date:||19 November 2018 (UK)|
21 November 2018 (Australia)
22 November 2018 (Germany)
5 December 2018 (France)
12 December 2018 (Italy)
|Language:||English, Klingon (DTS-HD 5.1)|
|Subtitles:||English, French, Portuguese (Region A)|
English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish (Region B)
|Dubbed:||French (Region A)|
French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish (Dolby Digital 5.1, Region B)
|Reference:||ASIN B07G2D87C1 (Region A, North America)|
ASIN B07M9WXRGH ("Steelbook Edition", Region A)
ASIN B07JF8F7Q7 (Region free, Japan)
ASIN B07JWKYHNB ("Steelbook Edition", Region A, Japan)
ASIN B07GT4Z59W (Region free, UK)
ASIN B07G22MQ3Q (Region B, Australia)
ASIN B07H657XDV (Region B, Germany)
ASIN B07GW2ZW4P ("Steelbook Edition", Region B, Germany)
ASIN B07HNFX4CH (Region B, France)
ASIN B07PG2N52X ("Steelbook Edition", Region B, France)
ASIN B07H9CPXL1 (Region B, Italy)
ASIN B07HSBH1SW ("Steelbook Edition", Region B, Italy)
|Region B cover|
Star Trek: Discovery - Season One is a Blu-ray Disc release, featuring the complete first season of Star Trek: Discovery in 1080p high-definition. The four-disc set was released in North America on 13 November 2018, with other national releases beginning on 19 November 2018. The release was issued as a standard plastic snapcase within its own cardboard foldout slipover cover.
Special features Edit
Remarkably, this release features the same number of special features as its DVD counterpart, constituting something of a break in release policies as the franchise had up to that point in time favored the Blu-ray format with the inclusion of more special features. Quite conceivably this had been an intentional franchise attempt to avoid the 2014 second "VAM controversy" that had followed the home media format releases of the first two alternate reality films.
- Deleted and extended scenes
- Discovering Discovery – The Concepts and Casting of Star Trek: Discovery
- Featurette discussing the initial development of the first season and the casting process, with interviews with producers, writers and actors.
- The Star Trek Theme
- Alex Kurtzman and Jeff Russo discuss the creation of the score for the series, including developing the main title theme.
- Creature Comforts
- Exploring Alchemy Studios' make-up and prosthetics work on the series, looking at the updated designs for the Klingons, Vulcans and Andorians, as well as the development of the Kelpiens.
- Designing Discovery
- Spotlighting the work of Discovery's production design team, led by Tamara Deverell.
- Creating Space
- Looking at Pixomondo's visual effects for Discovery, and how its team turn initial designs into final sequences.
- Prop Me Up
- How Discovery's props are designed, iterated, and built.
- Feeding Frenzy
- How the work of the series' food stylist contributes to the atmosphere of the sets.
- A Woman's Journey
- Exploring the strong female presence in Discovery, both on- and off-screen, and the importance of the series' inclusionist message.
- A scene from TOS: "Mirror, Mirror" is incorrectly labeled as having come from TOS: "Operation -- Annihilate!" in this feature
- Dress for Success
- Discovery costume designer Gersha Phillips and her team show how they create the extensive range of uniforms, armor, and clothing needed for the series.
- Star Trek: Discovery – The Voyage of Season One
- Featurette looking at the storyline and plot twists of the first season.
Background information Edit
This particular release is one of the few individual Star Trek releases followed by the professional industry site The Numbers and for which domestic US home video format sales are known; The Numbers has reported that by June 2020 domestic sales had been realized of US$9.2 million for both this and its DVD counterpart releases.  The for a brand-new Star Trek production seemingly disappointing sales could be explained by the sharply divided fan reception the series had engendered. However, there were by this time also generic societal trend issues at play, which had nothing to do with Star Trek, additionally explaining the diminishing sales of physical home video formats. (see: main article)
- Global DISCOVERY Blu-ray Dates, Steelbook Announced at TrekCore
- Review — STAR TREK: DISCOVERY Season 1 on Blu-ray at TrekCore
- Review: ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Season One Blu-ray at TrekMovie.com
- Star Trek: Discovery - Season One Blu-ray Review at Blu-ray.com
For the Love of Spock
|Star Trek: Discovery|
Star Trek Trilogy: The Kelvin Timeline
|Previous series release:|
First Blu-ray in series
|Next series release:|
DIS Season 2 Blu-ray