(written from a Production point of view)
David Ogden Stiers (31 October 1942 – 3 March 2018; age 75) was a veteran actor who played Doctor Timicin in the Star Trek: The Next Generation fourth season episode "Half a Life", performing opposite Majel Barrett as Lwaxana Troi. Stiers filmed his scenes between Thursday 28 February 1991 and Friday 8 March 1991 on Paramount Stage 8 and 9. He worked closely with dialogue coach Philip Weyland and had a three-room-trailer from the company Star Waggons. (Call sheets)
Stiers was perhaps best known for his role as Major Charles Emerson Winchester III on the highly successful television series M*A*S*H from 1977 through 1983, for which he received two Emmy Award nominations. He also appeared in the 1977 film Oh, God! along with Jeff Corey, Terri Garr, William Daniels, Clyde Kusatsu, and Paul Sorvino.
His many feature films include Better Off Dead (1985, with Kim Darby), The Man With One Red Shoe (1985, with Tom Hanks), The Accidental Tourist (1988), Doc Hollywood (1991), Steal Big Steal Little (1995, with Pamela Winslow and Charles Rocket), Jungle 2 Jungle (1997, also featuring Dominic Keating), and The Majestic (2001). He also appeared in numerous films from writer/director Woody Allen.
He proved himself to be a talented voice actor, voicing characters in several films for Walt Disney Studios, including Beauty and the Beast (1991), Pocahontas (1995), and Lilo & Stitch (2002). He also lent his voice to Disney's acclaimed animated series Teacher's Pet and its subsequent feature film adaptation. Stiers narrated Ric Burns' sweeping New York: A Documentary Film, which tells the history of New York City, and performed voiceovers for George Lucas's THX 1138, which also featured Ian Wolfe and Sid Haig. He has worked with computer game developer Cyan Worlds, Inc., voicing both the characters of Jeff Zandi and Dr. Watson in Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, and Esher in Myst V: End of Ages, the latter of which also utilized his likeness for the character.
Ogden Stiers died on 3 March 2018 at the age of 75. (Screen Actors Guild Magazine, Special Edition 2019, p. 97)
Other Star Trek connections
- Sergeant Matlovich vs. the U.S. Air Force (1978 TV movie, with Brad Dourif, William Wintersole, Harv Selsby, Tom Ormeny, Steven Anderson, Gavan O'Herlihy, William Daniels, Mitchell Ryan, Alfred Ryder, David Spielberg)
- Father Damien: The Leper Priest (1980 TV movie, with William Daniels, Logan Ramsey, and Irene Tsu)
- The Dead Zone (2002-2007, with Nicole de Boer and Bill Mondy, created by Michael Piller)
- Stargate: Atlantis (2006-2007, with Robert Picardo, Connor Trinneer, Nicole de Boer, Frank Collison, Steven Culp, Paul McGillion, Alan Ruck, and Colm Meaney)
- Leverage (2012, with Leon Rippy and directed by Jonathan Frakes)