(written from a Production point of view)
Echoes and Refractions is a Star Trek: Myriad Universes anthology – the second volume in the series – featuring novels written by Keith R.A. DeCandido, Chris Roberson, and Geoff Trowbridge. Published by Pocket Books, it was first released in August 2008.
- From the book jacket
- THE CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT by Geoff Trowbridge: In a continuum where Spock died during childhood, an Andorian named Thelin became Captain Kirk's stalwart friend and first officer. But at the moment of Khan's final defeat, history takes an even stranger turn, and the emerging potential of Project Genesis is revealed as the galaxy's greatest hope… and its most ominous threat.
- A GUTTED WORLD by Keith R. A. DeCandido: Terrorist Kira Nerys – from a Bajor that was never liberated – may hold the key to winning a war that has engulfed half the galaxy. But with the Romulans and the Klingons at each other's throats, and the Federation pulled into the conflict, even victory may not bring salvation.
- BRAVE NEW WORLD by Chris Roberson: Dr. Noonien Soong's dream has been realized: androids are now woven inextricably into the fabric of the Federation, revolutionizing Starfleet and transforming the quality of humanoid life. But when Soong's long-missing breakthrough creation, Data, mysteriously resurfaces, civilization reaches a crossroads that could lead to a bright new future, or to ruin.
Background information Edit
- The title for "A Gutted World" originates from the Wallace Stevens poem "A Postcard from the Volcano"; the relevant verse is quoted at the beginning of the novel.
- Advance copies of the book were sold at the Shore Leave convention in July 2008, a month ahead of the general release date.
- The final cover for the collection features Thelin wearing a 2270s-2350s era Starfleet uniform with the rank insignia of a rear admiral, Jean-Luc Picard, Kira Nerys, David Marcus, and Data. The original solicitation cover released by Simon & Schuster showed multiple images of Data.
- An extract from "The Chimes at Midnight" appeared in Star Trek Magazine issue 139.
- Memory Alpha receives acknowledgments in all three stories.
Cover gallery Edit
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|Infinity's Prism||Star Trek: Myriad Universes||Shattered Light|