(written from a Production point of view)
A missing jewel may mean war to an entire world… and death to Commander Riker.
- From the book jacket
- Dante Maxima Seven – a world known to its inhabitants as Imprima. A world where Madragi – huge social/economic entities wealthy beyond compare – control the fate of millions…
- Years ago, William Riker was part of the Starfleet delegation that opened Imprima to the Federation. Now the disappearance of an old friend – Teller Conlon, who also served on that team – draws Riker and the USS Enterprise-D across the galaxy, back to Imprima.
- Because the jewel known as Fortune's Light – one of Madraga Criathis's most priceless possessions – has been stolen. And Teller Conlon stands accused of its theft. Now Riker must discover the truth behind the disappearance of both his friend and Fortune's Light, no easy task on a world where treachery and intrigue are commonplace… and where even an old friend's embrace may conceal the deadly bite of a dagger's blade.
Memorable quotes Edit
"And that is the long and short of it."
"Allow me to iterate. Disregarding the severity of your wound, you hoodwinked Dr. Crusher into letting you go off on what is commonly known as a fishing expedition, despite the suspicion that whoever tried to kill you the first time would almost certainly try again. Once in the maze, you were rewarded – beyond any reasonable expectation – with the discovery of a homing device, which you believe has been programmed with the location of Fortune's Light. And now you wish to test that theory again, despite the severity of your wounds and the all-too-obvious fact that more able-bodied personnel are available. Is that a fair summary, Number One?"
"…I don't think I'd used the term 'hoodwinked', sir. Not exactly."
- - Riker and Picard
"All in all, I'd say he's going to be put away for a long time."
"Put away, Number One?"
"The Impriman penal system is not as forward-looking as ours, sir. They still believe in long-term incarceration."
- - Riker and Picard
"Don't just stand there. Tell me again how you looked into my eyes."
"I'll tell you more than that."
- - Lyneea Tal and Riker
- William T. Riker
- Teller Conlon
- Lt. Aquino
- Lyneea Tal
- Fortune's Light at Memory Beta, the wiki for licensed Star Trek works
- Fortune's Light at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|#14: Exiles|| Pocket TNG|