(written from a Production point of view)
An artificial world battles a natural disaster!
Gemworld, Book One is a Pocket TNG novel – #58 in the numbered series, and the first novel in the Gemworld duology – written by John Vornholt. Published by Pocket Books, it was first released in February 2000.
- From the book jacket
- Dazzling to behold, Gemworld is one of the wonders of the Federation: an artificial world composed entirely of crystal, its atmosphere held in place by a sophisticated network of force fields. Home to a half dozen different sentient races, this singular world is a low-gravity playpen of mammoth spires, endless fractal staircases, gemstone arcs, and dazzling prisms, all carefully nurtured by the planet's many inhabitants – until now.
- Lieutenant Melora Pazlar, who previously served on Deep Space Nine, is currently stationed aboard the Starship USS Enterprise-D where an urgent telepathic summons alerts her to the danger threatening her homeworld.
- The crystals that once sheltered her people, and several other alien species, are now growing at a vastly accelerated and uncontrollable rate, wreaking havoc throughout the planet. Captain Picard orders the Enterprise on a rescue mission to Gemworld, but they arrive to find a world in chaos – and an unexpected menace that traps the crew of the Enterprise along with the fragile civilization they hoped to save!
- This novel contained Chapter Seven of the serialized novel Starfleet: Year One.
- An extract from this novel appeared in Star Trek Monthly issue 64.
- Jean-Luc Picard
- Melora Pazlar (β)
- Reginald Barclay
- Although this novel depicts Barclay as still being a member of the Enterprise crew in 2375, VOY: "Pathfinder", set a year later, would establish him having been on Earth for almost two years.
- Deanna Troi
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|#57: The Forgotten War||Pocket TNG
|#59: Gemworld, Book Two|