General Order 7 was made part of Starfleet policy following the visit of the USS Enterprise to Talos IV in 2254. The rationale for the order was top secret, known only to Starfleet Command, and could only be revealed to subordinate officers upon a certified direct order issued by a flag officer. A file about the directive was also written (see full text below). However, not even it explained the reason for General Order 7. It can be implied from the logs showed during Spock's court martial, that the order was enacted to both prevent others from learning the Talosian's powers of illusion and to forestall the Talosian's plans of creating a colony of humans as slaves. Usually kept locked, the file needed to be opened using a specific device.
In 2267, this was the only Starfleet regulation that carried the threat of capital punishment if broken. (TOS: "The Menagerie, Part I") The precise rationale for retaining such an extreme punishment (and why only for Talos IV as opposed to multiple other dangerous planets - for example, the planet of the potentially timeline-altering Guardian of Forever) has yet to be revealed.
- Known facts: Detailed information cross referenced with 3XY phagrin level - mass computer.
- The only Earthship to visit the planet Talos IV was the USS Enterprise commanded by Captain Christopher Pike with Half-Vulcan Science Officer Spock.
- Recommendations: Be it hereby noted that said following instructions be incorporated in STARFLEET policy:
- The following officers have visited Talos IV and recommend that no Human should ever visit it again - -
- Captain Christopher Pike
- Half-Vulcan Science Officer Spock