- Also see Hippocrates (disambiguation) for other variations of the name.
Hippocrates Noah was a holosuite character created for Julian Bashir's "Secret Agent" holographic program revolving around the espionage of Earth's nation-states during the Cold War of the 20th Century. His henchmen included Falcon and Duchamps.
In 2372, Bashir was running the holo-program when the USS Orinoco was destroyed by a warp core breach during its return to Deep Space 9. The explosion of the runabout caused a massive power feedback in the station's power grid through the transporters, shutting down all but emergency power and forcing station personnel to store the transporter patterns of the runabout crew in the memory banks of the holosuite as an emergency measure. The result was that characters of the holographic program took on the physical characteristics of the crew of the runabout, including Benjamin Sisko, whose image replaced that of Noah.
In the context of the program, Noah was an "evil genius" who intended to destroy most of the Earth except for his mountain retreat on the Tibetan plateau where he had gathered together the most brilliant minds and artists from across the world. He had placed lasers in underground caverns around the planet in order to produce massive fissures in the Earth's crust that would release millions of tons of molten lava, shrinking the habitable surface of the planet – "like letting air out of a balloon," as he described it – and flooding the vast majority of its surface. Noah's plan was foiled by Bashir with help from Jadzia Dax, who had taken the form of the character Honey Bare, and Garak. Bashir's companion Anastasia Komananov (replaced by the image of Kira Nerys) wanted to kill Noah, but Bashir stopped her, fearing the holosuite would erase Sisko's image.
This was nearly Bashir's undoing, as Mr. Duchamps showed up during Bashir's argument with Komananov and took them by surprise. Noah was about to kill Bashir when the doctor, inspired by an earlier speech Garak made to him, claimed he had realized Noah's way was the right one. He activated the lasers, flooding the Earth and resulting in an unexpected "victory" for Noah. Noah was nonetheless ready to kill Bashir, but in the meantime, Michael Eddington had devised a method to retrieve the senior crew members' patterns through the transporter, and he beamed Sisko and the others out of the holosuite. (DS9: "Our Man Bashir")
- Hippocrates Noah was played by Avery Brooks, who also appeared in his normal role as Commander Sisko.
"I believe in an orderly world, a far cry from the chaos we find ourselves in today. We are building a new future here, a new beginning for mankind. A new chapter in Human history will open... right here, on my island."
"Forgive me. Sometimes I do get ahead of myself. Allow me to explain."
- - Hippocrates Noah, Julian Bashir; shortly before the classic Bond-style scene in which the villain explains his master plan in great detail to his arch-enemy
"It's working just as you planned! You've done it, doctor."
"Yes. But somehow, I didn't expect to win."
- - Falcon, Hippocrates Noah; after Bashir destroys the world
- "Hippocrates Noah" has several meanings behind it; Hippocrates was a physician in Ancient Greece who is regarded as the father of modern medicine and is responsible for the Hippocratic Oath, while Noah was a Biblical figure who survived floods lasting forty days and forty nights. The name may also be a homage to the Dr. No of James Bond, who was the villain and namesake of the first Bond film, especially given that Falcon refers to Noah as "doctor" at one point.
- Noah's plot to destroy the world was a classic James Bond-style plot, particularly reminiscent of several Roger Moore films, namely Moonraker (in which the villain plans to poison the population of Earth and create a master race in outer space) and The Spy Who Loved Me (in which a reclusive man plans to cause a nuclear holocaust and start anew beneath the ocean).
- Avery Brooks received much acclaim from fans for his performance as Noah, with some suggesting he should play an actual Bond villain.