(written from a Production point of view)
How to Host a Mystery - Star Trek: The Next Generation was a special edition of Decipher's How To Host A Murder series of boxed party game sets. Released in 1992, it allowed a group of eight players (more could be included as "unnamed crewmembers") plus a "Party Host" to enact a "lost episode" of Star Trek: The Next Generation, all in the confines of a dinner party setting. (ISBN 1878875892)
- STARDATE 47729.25: An eight-member away team from the USS Enterprise-D has found the legendary Orb of Knowledge. (Note: This is not one of the Bajoran Orbs, but an equally legendary artifact nonetheless.) However, later at a celebratory banquet, Captain Jean-Luc Picard discovers that the Orb has disappeared, and several of the personnel guarding it have been assaulted. A brief investigation leads to the fact that only someone in the away team could have committed the assault and subsequent theft of the Orb. But which one could it be – Commander William T. Riker, Dr. Beverly Crusher, Lt. Cmdr. Data, Counselor Deanna Troi, Lt. Worf, Ensign Ro Laren, Lt. Cmdr. Geordi La Forge or Ten Forward hostess Guinan?
- An audio cassette tape which reveals the details of the mystery
- A diagram of the USS Enterprise-D
- A Host's Guide and Instruction Booklet
- Eight Guest Invitations and envelopes
- Eight Player Clue Manuals with secret info for each player
- An Investigation Report
- A booklet containing nine "Secret Clues"
- "Crewmember" Nametags
- Optional Dinner and Costume Suggestions to give the party more flavor (pun not intended)