The Kobali language was the spoken language of the Kobali, a species native to the Delta Quadrant that reanimated the dead of other species to procreate. Written Kobali included circles connected to zigzagging straight lines.
When former Ensign Lyndsay Ballard was brought back to life, she was reprogrammed to think in Kobali first, and had to translate things into English in her head. Harry Kim attempted to learn a little Kobali in an effort to impress Ballard, but did not get the words quite right. (VOY: "Ashes to Ashes")
Words and phrases
- Bekta – "Fire" (as in a weapon) or "Engage"
- Tam'vitte – "Computer" (or something required for computer attention)
- Cham'bioque – "Success" or "Completed" (Used as a celebratory exclamation)
- Kyn'steya – "Past Life"
- Vyk'tiote – "Crumpled dance", literal translation of a certain kind of wave phenomenon.
Examples of spoken language
- Tam'vitte... Rel mestal!
- Mestal te'iote senve.
- Siote ven'suil. Bekta! Tam'vitte, me'iote sendaya Voyager.
- (Lyndsay and her shuttle computer.)
- Vien'ke debala, Jhet'leya.
- The comets are tiresome.
- All I need to do is vyq'tal the qen'dioqe matrices, stabilize the per'cheya, tez'tel se nenna... Cham'bioque!
- (In engineering, Lyndsay switched back and forth from Kobali to English.)
- Stoi'gia! Net'staika pen'daeli shevaob!
- (Lyndsay expressing frusteration to The Doctor and Harry Kim.)