(written from a Production point of view)
This page contains information regarding Star Trek: Lower Decks, and thus may contain spoilers.
This page contains information specifically pertaining to the first season of Star Trek: Lower Decks, whose episode premieres were consecutively streamed on CBS All Access for the USA and broadcast on Space/Z for Canada from 6 August 2020 through 8 October 2020. Space/Z owner Bell Media posted each episode on its own streaming service CraveTV the day after it had premiered. CBS failed to sell the series elsewhere, and it has therefore neither been aired nor streamed anywhere else in the world.
|Cupid's Errant Arrow||1x05||LD-1005||57601.3||2020-09-03|
|Much Ado About Boimler||1x07||LD-1007||57752.6||2020-09-17|
|Veritas||1x08||LD-1008||57791.1 – 57818.4||2020-09-24|
|No Small Parts||1x10||LD-1010||Unknown||2020-10-08|
Ensign D'Vana Tendi enthusiastically begins her new assignment aboard the USS Cerritos, a California-class starship specializing in second contact missions, doing the follow-up grunt work of the crews boldly going where no one has gone before. She quickly befriends Ensigns Brad Boimler, Beckett Mariner and Sam Rutherford, collectively nicknamed the "lower decks," as Mariner points out, that is where the real action happens.
The Cerritos, under the command of Captain Carol Freeman, proceeds to aid the Galardonians in the construction of a communications array (while dealing with the effects of a rage virus,) delivers Klingon General K'orin to Tulgana IV and diplomatic trinkets to Gelrak V. Other missions include aiding with the relocation of an ancient generation ship, assisting with the demolition of one of Mixtus III's moons, fending off Drookmani scavengers, and providing support to the Khwopa. All the while, Captain Freeman is keeping an especially close and untrusting eye on Ensign Mariner – as the two have kept secret that they are mother and daughter.
As Boimler aspires to be more promotable, Mariner works to teach Boimler the importance of doing what is right (even when it means breaking the rules,) and the budding of Tendi and Rutherford's friendship, the secret of Mariner and Freeman's relationship comes out. The Cerritos is nearly destroyed before it is saved by the lower decks' quick thinking, the sacrifice of chief of security Shaxs, and a last minute assist by Captain William T. Riker of the USS Titan.
- In March 2020, series showrunner Mike McMahan explained that aspects such as season 1 delivery and cast recordings were minimally affected by the remote work necessitated by the COVID-19 pandemic.  By August 2020, other elements of the production timeline were unexpectedly shifted or completely thrown out. 
- The series frequently references the adventures, settings, and characters of nearly all the other Star Trek series, with John de Lancie, Jonathan Frakes, and Marina Sirtis reprising their Star Trek: The Next Generation characters (Q, William T. Riker, and Deanna Troi, respectively) over the course of the season.
- Tawny Newsome as Ensign Beckett Mariner
- Jack Quaid as Ensign Brad Boimler
- Noël Wells as Ensign D'Vana Tendi
- Eugene Cordero as Ensign Sam Rutherford
- Dawnn Lewis as Captain Carol Freeman
- Jerry O'Connell as Commander Jack Ransom ("Second Contact"–"Veritas", "No Small Parts")
- Fred Tatasciore as Lieutenant Shaxs ("Second Contact"–"Veritas", "No Small Parts")
- Gillian Vigman as Dr. T'Ana ("Second Contact"–"Veritas", "No Small Parts")
- Supervising director
- Juno Lee
- Barry J. Kelly ("Second Contact", "Moist Vessel", "Much Ado About Boimler")
- Kim Arndt ("Envoys", "Cupid's Errant Arrow")
- Bob Suarez ("Temporal Edict", "Terminal Provocations")
- Edited by
- Todd Raleigh
- Music and theme by
- Chris Westlake
- Staff Writer
- Garrick Bernard
- Executive Producers
- Alex Kurtzman
- Mike McMahan
- Heather Kadin
- Katie Krentz
- Eugene Roddenberry
- Trevor Roth
- Line producer
- Benjamin Kaltenecker
|First season in series||Seasons of
Star Trek: Lower Decks
LD Season 2