This page is a tutorial for using Memory Alpha's image-formatting syntax. There are a number of features available to make the presentation of images in an article cleaner and more attractive.
The basic format for displaying an image is [[File:Image name.ext|<options>|Caption text]]
- The image will have a frame, regardless of whether it is a thumb, and the caption text will be included as a visible caption.
- thumb, thumbnail
- Generates an automatically resized thumbnail image, normally on the right, with the caption text displayed directly underneath. An "info" icon is added. Example: [[File:Moon.jpg|thumbnail|The Moon]]
Horizontal alignment options
- Makes the image right-aligned; can be used either with or without specifying "thumb".
- Same as above, but left-aligned.
- Same as above, but centered.
- The image will be rendered inline, even if the thumbnail option is set.
- Renders a thumbnail version of the image that is [size] pixels wide (e.g. "150px"). Height is computed to maintain the aspect ratio (i.e. the shape of the image). Specifying this overrides the preferred thumbnail size set in user preferences, so do not use this option except on list articles, when it must be set to 150px.
- Allows one to change the target (to an arbitrary page title, or URL) of the generated link, activable on the rendered image surface; e.g.
[[File:Moon.jpg|20px|link=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon]]renders as (an external link), or
[[File:Moon.jpg|20px|link=Moon]]renders as (an internal link).
Vertical bars (the pipe "|" character) are used to separate options from each other and from the caption text. Unknown options are ignored and the final parameter is used as the caption text. Note that the caption text should describe the image and should not end with a period, as in the examples above.
Images can be linked to without displaying the image by putting a colon in front of the image link, like this: [[:File:Moon.jpg]] which is displayed as: File:Moon.jpg. These can also use pipes like standard links, like this: [[:File:Moon.jpg|text here]], resulting in text here.