This is a page to discuss the suggestion to delete "Arachnophobia".
- If you are suggesting a page for deletion, add your initial rationale to the section "Deletion rationale".
- If you want to discuss this suggestion, add comments to the section "Discussion".
- If a consensus has been reached, an administrator will explain the final decision in the section "Admin resolution".
In all cases, please make sure to read and understand the deletion policy before editing this page.
Deletion rationale Edit
The term arachnophobia was never mentioned and nor were "arachnophobe" or "arachnophobic". This is what we do have in the three episodes cited:
- "An Obol for Charon": Pike says "I hate spiders"
- "Realm of Fear": In one scene, O'Brien indicates he's got experience with fear of arachnids, and Barclay says he's not bothered by them. Then in a later scene, O'Brien is show comfortable with a spider, while Barclay apparently shows some unease with it.
- "Genesis": Crusher notes that Barclay has been transformed into a spider and has a disease named after him, to which Troi replies that she'll better clear her calendar for the next few weeks
That seems like an exceptionally weak case for having an arachnophobia article. I don't generally mind spiders but I'd initially be a bit uncomfortable if I were suddenly confronted with a hand-sized one. And saying you hate spiders doesn't exactly get you diagnosed with a phobia either. And in Genesis, Barclay is to be treated for the traumatic experience of changing into a spider, not for fear of spiders - that one's an outright misinterpretation. There's the O'Brien case, but that still got the problem of him never naming his fear. -- Capricorn (talk) 05:16, May 11, 2019 (UTC)
- Merge content with Spider. 31dot (talk) 09:40, May 11, 2019 (UTC)
- Agreed, plus I suggest merging O'Brien's problem with fear, including a bg note for the proper term for this fear. --LauraCC (talk) 15:56, May 11, 2019 (UTC)