(written from a Production point of view)
More Beautiful Than Death is an upcoming novel by David Mack set to be released in 2020. The novel was originally intended to be the third original novel based in the alternate reality established by Star Trek.
- Captain James T. Kirk and the Enterprise crew escort Spock's father, Ambassador Sarek of Vulcan, to a dilithium-rich planet called Akiron. They arrive to find this world under siege by creatures that some of the planet's denizens believe are demons. Sarek orders Kirk to abandon the mission, but the young captain won't turn his back on people in danger. After a harrowing encounter with the dark-energy "demons," Kirk's belief in a rational universe is challenged by a mystic who insists that it wasn't coincidence that brought Kirk to Akiron, but the alien equivalent of a Karmic debt.
- Meanwhile, aboard the Enterprise, Sarek's young Vulcan aide L'Nel has a sinister agenda – and its chief objective appears to be the cold-blooded murder of Spock!
- The novel was announced at the Shore Leave convention on 10 July 2009.
- Originally due to be released in July 2010, and having received solicitation in the Summer 2010 publishers' catalog, the novel – along with the other three releases based on Star Trek – was announced as being placed "on hold" on 14 January 2010. 
- On 1 August 2019, it was announced that the novel was back on the schedule, and would be published in August 2020. 
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|The Unsettling Stars||Pocket alternate reality||Not yet announced|