(written from a Production point of view)
The mind shattering odyssey to an impossible world
- From the book jacket
- Unable to proceed. Shuttles seriously damaged. Not safe to land here. Some crewmen dead.
- On a routine mission to Starfleet Academy, the sensors for the USS Enterprise detect the presence of a rogue planet in space, orbited by a sun no larger that a pea – a circumstance impossible to explain by any known scientific law. Assuming the star to be an artificial construct, a landing party is dispatched to the planet's surface, and there becomes trapped. Spock leads a rescue mission, and becomes trapped in turn.
- With two crewmen dead, and unable to contact Montgomery Scott on the Enterprise bridge, Captain Kirk must battle to solve the riddle of the planet Spock calls Anomaly – a planet where no equipment works and none of their science applies… a planet that cannot exist…
- Canon characters listed below are linked to the main article about them. Non-canon characters are not linked, but those that recurred, appearing or being mentioned in more than one story, are defined further in Bantam TOS characters.
- James T. Kirk
- Montgomery Scott
- Dr. James Atheling – astrophysicist
- Andre Charvat – senior science officer
- Sharon Follettt – science officer
"Atheling" is a reference by Haldeman to one of the pen names of James Blish, who wrote (or co-wrote) the twelve books of tie-ins for The original series
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|The Price of the Phoenix||Bantam TOS||The New Voyages 2|
|Trek to Madworld||Star Trek Adventures||Devil World|