(written from a Production point of view)
Robert J. Doherty is a writer who was involved with Star Trek: Voyager between 1997 and 2001. At the time of his hiring, he was the youngest staff writer on the show. Prior to his work as staff writer he served as assistant to the producers, starting with the beginning of the fourth season. For the seventh season, he also worked as regular story editor.
After the end of Voyager, Doherty worked as writer and executive story editor on James Cameron's science fiction series Dark Angel (2001-2002, starring John Savage), as writer and co-producer on the drama series MDs (2002, starring Robert Joy and Wade Williams), as writer and producer on the action series Tru Calling (2003-2005, with Jessica Collins), as writer and producer on the mystery series Point Pleasant (2005-2006, starring Dina Meyer), and as writer, supervising producer and later co-executive producer on the mystery series Medium (2005-2009).
Currently, Doherty is the creator and producer of the CBS crime drama Elementary, a contemporary re-imagining of the Sherlock Holmes mythology starring Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu. He is also credited on other series as "Bob Doherty".
Star Trek credits
- "Vis à Vis" - (as Robert J. Dougherty) (Season 4)
- "Bliss" - (as Robert J. Doherty) (Season 5)
- "Riddles" - (teleplay) (Season 6)
- "Tsunkatse" - (teleplay as Robert J. Doherty)
- "Ashes to Ashes" - (teleplay)
- "Life Line" - (teleplay with Raf Green and Brannon Braga)
- "Imperfection" - (teleplay with Carleton Eastlake) (Season 7)
- "Critical Care" - (story with Kenneth Biller)
- "Inside Man"
- "Repentance" - (teleplay; story with Michael Sussman)
- "Q2" - (teleplay)
- "Endgame" - (teleplay with Kenneth Biller)
Star Trek interviews
- Star Trek: The Magazine
- Star Trek: The Magazine Volume 1, Issue 10 (2000)
- Star Trek: The Magazine Volume 2, Issue 2 (2001), "Look Ahead to the final season of Star Trek: Voyager"
- Star Trek: The Magazine Volume 2, Issue 4 (2001), "Star Trek: Voyager: The Writers Look Back"
- Star Trek: The Magazine Volume 2, Issue 7 (2001), "The Trouble with Q"
- Star Trek Monthly