(written from a Production point of view)
The USS Enterprise is divided – and under attack!
- From the book jacket
- While its own saucer section receives needed repairs, the USS Enterprise tests a new experimental saucer. In theory, the new saucer can survive a planetary crash landing, but will it come through intact under genuine test conditions? Riker, Data, Worf, and La Forge risk their lives to find out, and so does Admiral Nechayev of Starfleet.
- But a dangerous test turns even more deadly when hostile forces seize control of the saucer – and turn it against the Enterprise.
After the saucer section is disabled during an encounter with a suspicious Pakled freighter, the weary Enterprise-D crew takes an opportunity for shore leave. Before Picard get a chance to relax, however, Admiral Nechayev shows up with an experimental saucer that's supposedly able to take-off and re-enter orbit after a crash landing. Nechayev orders Picard, along with a skeleton crew, to test this capability in a battle simulation. Little do they know that the Maquis in fact have their own plans for the new saucer.
- The events of this novel take place shortly after TNG: "Preemptive Strike".
- Although her real name is never explicitly stated, it is heavily implied that the Architect is actually Ro Laren.
- William T. Riker wonders if the Maquis and Starfleet could ever work together, possibly referencing Star Trek: Voyager.
- Author John Vornholt was inspired by the depictions of the saucer section's landing capabilities in the Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual. (Voyages of Imagination, pp. 192-193)
- Jean-Luc Picard
- William T. Riker
- Geordi La Forge
- Alynna Nechayev
- Deanna Troi
- Beverly Crusher
- Bill Cody
- Tim Wiley
- Burt Peters
- Linda Johnson
- Cardassian Gul
- Cardassian Gul.
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|#38: Dragon's Honor|| Pocket TNG|