(written from a Production point of view)
|Blu-ray Disc release|
|Series:||Star Trek: Short Treks|
|No. of episodes:||9|
|No. of discs:||1|
|Run time:||118 minutes|
|Region A release date:||2 June 2020 (North America)|
|Region B release date:||13 July 2020 (UK)|
15 July 2020 (Australia)
ASIN B0891CJG3N (UK)
ASIN B087GPVLKY (Australia)
Star Trek: Short Treks is a Blu-ray release featuring the complete first and second seasons of Star Trek: Short Treks, except for "Children of Mars". The set was released in North America on 2 June 2020. The single-disc holding standard plastic snapcase came within a slipover carton cover.
Discounting the audio commentaries, the special features total up to a runtime of one hour. While in some cases still being marketed as region-restricted, the releases are in actuality region-free, something which has increasingly become commonplace for the Blu-ray format. As such, this also explains the unified inclusion of subtitles and dubbed language audio tracks for all regions.
- After the North American release, the TrekCore website maintained that the only other foreseen release was for the UK, although this was contradicted by the announcement of both the Australian Blu-Ray and, and its DVD counterpart.
- "Runaway" and "The Brightest Star" were previously already included on the 2019 DIS Season 2 Blu-ray release, as these two episodes pertained to events featured in the second season of Star Trek: Discovery.
- Similarly, "Children of Mars" is not included in this set as it is a prelude to Star Trek: Picard and was included as a special feature on the subsequent DVD and Blu-ray home video releases of that series, endowed with an audio commentary.
- Like the prior Discovery Blu-ray releases, this release sports the same number of special features as its DVD counterpart, constituting something of a break in release policies as the franchise had up to that point in time favored the Blu-ray format with the inclusion of more special features. Quite conceivably this had either been an intentional franchise attempt to avoid the 2014 second "VAM controversy" that had followed in the wake of the home video format releases of the first two alternate reality films, a cost-price saving measure by streamlining disc production as much as possible, or both.
- The second season of Short Treks was not picked up for streaming by Netflix, making the region B releases the first opportunity for viewers outside the USA to (officially) watch the second season episodes.
DIS Season 2 Blu-ray
|Star Trek: Short Treks
PIC Season 1 Blu-ray
|Previous series release:|
First Blu-ray in series
DVD • Blu-ray • Digital