(written from a Production point of view)
Star Trek: Discovery The Official Starships Collection is a monthly British partwork magazine that premiered on 31 January 2018 and is published by Eaglemoss Collections under its Hero Collector imprint.
A sister publication of the Official Starships Collection and Build The USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D partworks, it is authorized and licensed by CBS Consumer Products, and debuted simultaneously in the US and the UK.
Each standard issue includes a (roughly) six to ten inch-long (150 to 250 mm-long) hand-painted scaled replica of a starship from the Star Trek: Discovery series. Cast in ABS and die-cast metal, a number of starship designs have been reproduced here (as a miniature) for the first time by any manufacturer.
Available separately, larger Special Edition starship models, metallic resin dedication plaques, dedicated magazine binders, and a figurine are in production. Gift premiums have also been released to subscribers.
Ben Robinson, the project's manager, utilizes original CGI studio models provided by Pixomondo for reference, once they have been approved by CBS Television Studios and Secret Hideout, the show's primary production companies, and the VFX team.     Nonetheless, Robinson has his longtime Official Starships Collection associate Fabio Passaro convert the models into LightWave 3D, Eaglemoss' software package of choice, as production-used models are created in Autodesk Maya and must be re-texturized and modified for printing. 
The 3D starship models are converted into tooling masters at the Holinail Group, Eaglemoss' manufacturing partner in Dongguan, China,  and 2D renders of them are frequently used for the publication's illustrations by its editors in the UK.
Production stills, concept art and newly-created orthographic views are utilized extensively, and new interviews with DIS starship designers including Goran Delic, JD Dickenson, John Eaves, and Sam Michlap were conducted.
Some of this content was published by Penguin Random House in two hardcover mass-market reference books from the Star Trek: Shipyards series, within the Starfleet Ships 2151-2293 and The Klingon Fleet volumes.  Also incorporating some of this material, the Star Trek: Discovery Designing Starships volume of the Designing Starships book series features every starship from Discovery's first season and was published in September 2019. 
Each sixteen-page magazine (measuring 168 × 218 mm) fits within the printed cardboard box that the model is presented in.
Products are available by subscription and to the general public through the company's webshops, newsagents, and retailers associated with Diamond Comic Distributors.
The line (in English) is also retailed by Eaglemoss' UK and German webshops to several European countries, and by the US webshops to Canada and Mexico. Some products are also available to other territories from the company's international webshops. A number of releases are also distributed by Anovos, ThinkGeek/GameStop, and other retailers.  
|1||USS Shenzhou NCC-1227
|2||USS Discovery NCC-1031
|3||USS Kerala NCC-1255
|5||USS Europa NCC-1648
|7||USS Buran NCC-1422
|8||Klingon Qugh Class
|9||USS Clarke NCC-1661
|10||Klingon Qoj Class 
|11||USS Shran NCC-1413
|12||USS Enterprise NCC-1701 
|14||Klingon Cleave Ship
|15||USS Edison NCC-1683
|180 mm||1:1444 |
|17||USS T'Plana-Hath NCC-1004
|18||Klingon Raider 
|218 mm l|
158 mm h
|19||Class C Shuttlecraft (DSC 01)
|20||USS Hiawatha NCC-815|
|21||Beacon of Kahless|
Confirmed upcoming issue: Federation Edit
|TBA||Section 31 Starship|
Confirmed upcoming issues: KlingonEdit
|TBA||bortaS bir Class|
Bonus Edition issues Edit
USS Glenn Edit
The USS Glenn, the line's first convention-exclusive registry variant model, was produced in a limited edition of 500 units (worldwide) and was available for purchase at the 2018 Official Star Trek Convention, New York Comic Con, and the Destination Star Trek Birmingham convention. Later in the year, a small number were also briefly available from Eaglemoss' UK and US webshops. Each ship was retailed with the USS Discovery's magazine and stand.
|USS Glenn NCC-1030 Limited Edition Variant
ISS Shenzhou Edit
Initially available exclusively as a gift premium for subscribers, the ISS Shenzhou, a registry variant of the USS Shenzhou model, later became available as a retail product from Eaglemoss' UK webshop. A magazine was not included with the model.
|ISS Shenzhou NCC-1227
Special Edition issues Edit
Considerably larger than the standard releases, Special Edition models are also available to subscribers, through the company's webshops, and from retailers.
Before it was released as a 215 mm-long model with issue 12 of this partwork (see above), a 259 mm-long "XL Edition" model of the USS Enterprise (as it was seen in DIS) debuted in the original starship collection.
The ISS Charon model will feature internal electronic lighting.
|(SP1)||Sarcophagus Ship Special Issue
|(SP2)||ISS Charon Special Issue|
Confirmed upcoming Special Edition issue Edit
|TBA||Federation Space Station|
Magazine binders Edit
"Mini-binders" (measuring 167 × 244 × 45 mm) will store ten of the magazines and are available to subscribers. They have not yet been retailed to the general public by the company's webshops, as of August 2019, though the company has stated that it plans to do so.
One binder was provided as a free bonus gift with the third shipment to early subscribers, following unexpected delays with the initial release of the first few starships and gift premiums.
Dedication plaques Edit
Scaled replicas of starship dedication plaque are cast from metallic resin and were previously distributed as gift premiums for subscribers.
|(1)||USS Shenzhou NCC-1227 Dedication Plaque||222 mm|
|(2)||USS Discovery NCC-1031 Dedication Plaque||222 mm|
Released as a gift premium for subscribers in February 2019, the company also distributes this scaled figure through its UK webshops and other retailers.
|(1)||Tardigrade||120 mm l|
90 mm h
Gift premiums Edit
Gift premiums are provided to subscribers at specific subscription milestones. The models do not include companion magazines. As seen above, some of these products are also released to the general public by Eaglemoss' webshops and other retailers.
|(1)||USS Shenzhou enamel pin (June to October 2018)||57 mm ø|
|(1)||USS Discovery enamel pin (2019)||57 mm ø|
|(2)||Scale chart poster (× 2)||594 × 420 mm × 2|
|(3)||USS Shenzhou NCC-1227 Dedication Plaque||222 mm|
|(4)||USS Discovery NCC-1031 Dedication Plaque||222 mm|
|(5)||Tardigrade||120 mm l|
90 mm h
|(6)||ISS Shenzhou NCC-1227||200 mm||1:2115|
Background information Edit
- Determined to bring the collection to market while Discovery's first season was airing for the first time (and managing to do so with issue 1), the company faced challenges due to "(...)delays in receiving assets from the licensor and the subsequent impact on production schedules," according to a letter that early subscribers received with the second issue, informing them of a temporary suspension. Robinson tweeted on 19 February 2018, "Shenzhous are almost all shipped. It’s been a huge push to get them out this quickly. Discos will follow. Then a little break. We just couldn’t get them made any faster." 
- Translations of some Klingon language starship names appeared on a poster that was sent to subscribers: bortaS bir (Cold Revenge), Chargh (Conquer), 'etlh (Blade), Jach (Scream), Qaw' (Destroy), Qoj (War), Qugh (Disaster), Sech (Torch), and Veqlargh (Demon).
- A render of the USS Gagarin appeared on the poster but was replaced in the collection by the USS Kerala, another Shepard-class ship. Robinson and Eaves were not able to confirm whether further intended modifications to the original studio model had been made, prior to its on-screen appearance as the Gagarin. 
- In August 2018, the project manager announced that the USS Buran, another Cardenas-class vessel, had replaced the USS Yeager in the line-up.
- On After Trek, the DIS companion series, prototype models of the collection's USS Discovery and USS Shenzhou were displayed as set decorations behind host Matt Mira, among other Star Trek memorabilia. 
- Ben Robinson has indicated that the company has tentative plans to launch subscriptions in Australia and Canada.
- In 2018, Eaglemoss also partnered with Simon & Schuster for a US contest to cross-promote the Collection and the first three Discovery novels.
- In June 2019, Ben Robinson indicated that the company will manufacture starships from season 3 of Star Trek: Discovery. 
- On 9 July 2019, Robinson revealed that the company plans to debut another convention-exclusive starship (and possibly more) in October 2019, if shipping issues do not cause a delay. 
- In reference to future plans, Ben Robinson stated, "I can tell you, every single ship that's appeared on Discovery is on the list", and he discussed the possibility of manufacturing seven unique Section 31 starship and shuttle designs, among other options. 
- ↑ Pixomondo-created CG models that Fabio Passaro's Meshweaver Productions has converted and/or re-texturized for the Collection, as identified online, include issue 1, issues 3-17, issue SP1, and the Tardigrade figurine.  
- ↑ The sticker on the base of the Qoj model's stand has "Klingon Veqlargh Class" printed on it.
- ↑ A larger (259 mm-long) version of the DIS USS Enterprise model was released in the first starship partwork in late 2018 with a different magazine.
- ↑ Dimensions of the "real" Festoon are not given in the magazine so the model's scale is based on an estimated length of 260 meters.
- ↑ Both of the Klingon Raider's "wings" are stored separately within the box that the model is shipped in, and fit into slots on the model's fuselage for display. When placed on its stand, the assembled model is 180 mm tall. As of August 2019, it is the first ship model from either Starships Collection to have a small hole made in it to accommodate its stand.
- ↑ The length of the "real" Klingon Raider is not stated in the magazine so scale was based on an estimate of 11 meters.
- ↑ Eight units of the limited edition USS Glenn model were damaged at the warehouse and were deemed unfit for release to the last eight customers who had ordered them from the UK's online shop. Besides providing a full refund, an I.O.U. for a free future convention-exclusive starship, and a handwritten apology, the company sent (at least) one unpainted production prototype of an earlier starship model to each of the affected customers.
- Star Trek: Discovery Starships Collection – official UK and Europe subscription website
- Star Trek: Discovery Starships Collection – official US subscription website
- Eaglemoss.com – official UK and Europe webshop
- Eaglemoss.com – official US, Canada and Mexico webshop
- Star Trek Starships at Facebook
- Star Trek: Discovery Starships at YouTube – official YouTube channel with model turnaround videos
- HeroCollector.com – Eaglemoss Collections' collector web portal
- Ben Robinson (project manager) at Twitter
- Star Trek Fan Group – unofficial fan forum at Facebook
- Geekology at YouTube – Star Trek Official Starship Collection videos playlist
- Irish Trekkie at YouTube – Star Trek: Discovery Starships video playlist
- Some Kind of Star Trek – Star Trek: Discovery - The Official Starships Collection articles
- Trek Collective Lists – Star Trek: Discovery - The Official Starships Collection index
- TrekCore.com – The Official Starships Collection articles and reviews
- Wixiban's Star Trek Collectables Portal – Eaglemoss Discovery Replicas index