(written from a Production point of view)
Star Trek: The Next Generation – The Continuing Mission is a retrospective behind-the-scenes reference book into the production of Star Trek: The Next Generation, featuring input from cast and crew, along with full color reproduction of design, and production illustrations as well as photographs of production materials actually used.
- From the first edition book jacket
- "Let's see what's out there."
- In September 1987, lightning struck for the second time when Star Trek: The Next Generation premiered on television, beginning an ongoing mission that continues to this day. Skeptics doubted that Gene Roddenberry could re-create the imagination and excitement of the classic Original Series, but The Next Generation proved a more-than-worthy successor, winning over fans and critics for seven thrilling seasons on television, then soaring onto the big screen in two hit feature films: Star Trek Generations and Star Trek: First Contact.
- Star Trek: The Next Generation – The Continuing Mission is an exquisite keepsake celebration of the unforgettable voyages of the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-D, collecting a breathtaking assortment of personal reminiscences, as well as never-before-published sketches, illustrations and photographs from the series and both movies. Captain Picard and the entire crew are captured here in loving tribute to ten years of exploring new worlds and new civilizations and going boldly "where no one has gone before".
- Foreword by Rick Berman
- Introduction: 100 Years of Star Trek
- Roddenberry's Revenge: The First Twenty Years
- The Voyages of the Starship Enterprise… Seven? – Preproduction
- Uncertain Encounters – The First Season
- Finding Its Measure – The Second Season
- The Best Begins – The Third Season
- The Best Gets Better – The Fourth Season
- It All Comes Together – The Fifth Season
- Approaching Deep Space – The Sixth Season
- Going Out on Top – The Last Season
- A Tale of Two Captains – Star Trek Generations
- On Their Own – Star Trek: First Contact
- The Continuing Mission – A Look Ahead
- Update (second edition only, covering Star Trek: Insurrection)
- Afterword: "The Missing Year" by Robert Justman
- The 10th anniversary book, first released in 1997 as a deluxe oversized, 30.2×23.1 cm, hardcover in dustjacket, saw a slightly revised softcover reprint one year later.
- The first specialized book publication to proffer its readership an exhaustive behind-the-scenes look of the production of The Next Generation, it saw at least one international release in the form of the Japanese language edition of 2001.