(written from a Production point of view)
Star Trek was a comic book series published by Gold Key Comics (part of Whitman Publishing), running for 61 issues from July 1967 until March 1979, when the series was canceled due to the license being taken over by Marvel Comics for its adaptation of Star Trek: The Motion Picture (comic). Various issues were reprinted in a variety of formats over the years in both the US and the UK.
For the first issues of the run, they were only printed with a Gold Key logo in the upper left corner. The company began issuing covers with the Whitman logo beginning with issue #20: "A World Gone Mad". From that point on, the Gold Key logo was used for newsstand distribution and the Whitman logo for retail shops.
The first nine issues of the series were published with photo covers, made up of photographs from various episodes from the original series. After that, every cover was painted, including the covers of reprinted issues, with the exception of issue #45: "The Voodoo Planet", a reprint of the seventh issue in the run, with no cover change. Issue #45 was also the first issue with a UPC code.
The series began its run with a cost of 12 cents an issue, and ended at 35 cents per issue. A number of issues were published with two different prices, and are noted below.
The company also released a "young reader" novel called Mission to Horatius.
- Based on Star Trek created by Gene Roddenberry
- Cover Artists:
Unfortunately, most of the writers and artists were not credited, and only anecdotal evidence survives as to who contributed to the series. Some of the other names of writers that are known include Dick Wood, Gerry Boudreau, Allan Moniz, and Paul S. Newman. Other artist names that are known include Giovanni Ticci (an inker on several of Alberto Giolitti's issues) and possibly Angelo Todaro, Massimo Belardinelli, Giorgio Cambiotti, and Mario Pedrazzi.
- Note that issues in italics are reprints of earlier issues.
- Star Trek: The Enterprise Logs:
- Enterprise Log 1 (reprinted as Key Collection volume 1 by Checker Books)
- Enterprise Log 2 (reprinted as Key Collection volume 2 by Checker Books)
- Enterprise Log 3 (reprinted as Key Collection volume 3 by Checker Books)
- Enterprise Log 4 (reprinted as Key Collection volume 4 by Checker Books)
- Key Collection volume 5 (by Checker Books)
- Captain James T. Kirk
- Commander Spock
- Doctor Leonard McCoy
- Lieutenant Commander Montgomery Scott
- Lieutenant Hikaru Sulu
- Lieutenant Uhura
- Ensign Pavel Chekov
- Yeoman Janice Rand