(written from a Production point of view)
A chilling journey through worlds beyond imagination.
First published by Bantam Books in January 1967, it was the very first officially licensed Star Trek tie-in book, and the first in a series of episode adaptations, as well as marking the starting point of what later became recognized as the Star Trek print franchise.
- "Charlie's Law"
- A 22-page adaptation of "Charlie X".
- "Dagger of the Mind"
- A 17-page adaptation of "Dagger of the Mind".
- "The Unreal McCoy"
- A 14-page adaptation of "The Man Trap".
- "Balance of Terror"
- A 22-page adaptation of "Balance of Terror".
- "The Naked Time"
- A 15-page adaptation of "The Naked Time".
- "The Conscience of the King"
- A 19-page adaptation of "The Conscience of the King".
Background information Edit
- Within nine months of initial publication, the book was re-printed five times. It was retitled Star Trek 1 after subsequent volumes in the series were published.
- The contents of the book were later incorporated into The Star Trek Reader II (E.P. Dutton, April 1977), along with Star Trek 4 and Star Trek 9.
- The stories in this, and the subsequent eleven volumes of the series, were based on early draft scripts. As a result, there are some significant differences between the printed version and what actually appeared on screen, based on the final script draft, which Blish had no access to. Due to the lead times required for publication, Blish was forced to use the only scripts available from Desilu promotions, which were early draft scripts that had been discarded. As many of these draft versions have been lost in the years since the series ended, Blish's adaptations are now seen as valuable resources for those researching how the early episodes evolved from script to film.
- In 2016, Mike and Denise Okuda (re-)confirmed the status and value of Blish's episode adaptations, when a cache of Original Series outtake footage was rediscovered, some of which accorded with information Blish had already divulged in his adaptations. (Star Trek: The Original Series - The Roddenberry Vault Blu-ray Disc-special feature, "Inside the Roddenberry Vault, Part 1")
Cover gallery Edit
"Charlie's Law" Edit
"The Unreal McCoy" Edit
- Archaeologist. "Bierce" was referred to as Robert Crater in the episode.
- Nancy Bierce
- Nancy was referred to as Nancy Crater in the episode.
"The Unreal McCoy" Edit
- Regulus VIII
- Eighth planet in the Regulan system. "Regulus VIII" is referred to as M-113 in the episode.
"The Naked Time" Edit
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|First novel in series|| Bantam TOS|
|Star Trek 2|