Real World article
(written from a Production point of view)
(written from a Production point of view)
There have been several anniversary events in Star Trek's history.
7th anniversary Edit
- Star Trek: The Animated Series debuts on NBC television seven years to the day after Star Trek: The Original Series debuted on the same network
10th anniversary Edit
- The Labor Day weekend convention at New York City's Statler Hilton Hotel was dubbed "Star Trek Deci-Centennial 10," celebrating both the nation's bicentennial and the 10th anniversary of the series debut. All the stars, with the exception of Leonard Nimoy, who was performing in "Equus" on Broadway, were in attendance.
- Star Trek: The Next Generation celebrates 10 years
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine celebrates 10 years
- The Lives of Dax
- Prophecy and Change
- Rising Son
- The Left Hand of Destiny, Book One
- The Left Hand of Destiny, Book Two
- The novel Unity was slated for the 10th anniversary of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, but was pushed back to a 2003 release
- Star Trek Customizable Card Game releases its Energize set for DS9's 10th anniversary
- CCG: Tenth Anniversary Collection
20th anniversary Edit
- note: The first occasion an official franchise lustrum logo was introduced, mostly featured as stickers on in that year released merchandise. As a full-fledged multi-media franchise Star Trek did not gather steam until after the release of Star Trek: The Motion Picture in 1979 – in the process also explaining why there are no 1981 15th anniversary events to speak of, in no small measure due to the fact that Paramount Pictures considered The Motion Picture a failure – , the film font of which actually, and somewhat ironically, used for the first-time official anniversary logo instead of that of the Original Series.
- First time release of "The Cage", the original and unaired Star Trek pilot episode, on the VHS/Betamax and LaserDisc home video entertainment formats. Never seen by the general public before, it still concerns a color/b&w hybrid version. A full color version was to be released four years later.
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home premieres
- Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual 2nd printing
- Star Trek: The Next Generation is green-lighted and taken into production; this was not a coincidence as then Paramount Television CEO Mel Harris deemed the anniversary as the perfect moment for the relaunch of the television franchise.
- Star Trek: The Motion Picture celebrates 20 years
- Star Trek: The Next Generation celebrates 20 years
- Star Trek: The Next Generation celebrates 20 years in Japan
25th anniversary Edit
- "Redemption", TNG's 100th episode, airs
- AMT/Ertl Star Trek model kit (re-)releases with new box-art
- Estes Industries reissues of their rocket propelled Star Trek model kits
- Star Trek: 25th Anniversary (PC)
- Star Trek: 25th Anniversary (Game Boy)
- Star Trek: 25th Anniversary (NES)
- Star Trek 25th Anniversary Audio Collection
- Star Trek: 25th Anniversary LCD Video Game
- Star Trek 25th Anniversary Special
- Star Trek Commemorative Checker Set
- Star Trek Commemorative Chess Set
- Star Trek: The First 25 Years (cancelled)
- Star Trek: The Movies - 25th Anniversary Collectors Set
- Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country premieres; despite the film division of the studio experiencing financial adversity at the time, it was decided to produce a Star Trek film with the original crew for the anniversary after all. Such was the determination not to let the occasion go by unnoticed, that a cancellation decision well into the production for budgetary reasons by a lower echelon studio executive was overturned by conglomerate higher-ups a few weeks later. (see: The Undiscovered Country: Story and production)
- "Silver Anniversary" was the title of the first chapter of George Takei's autobiography, To the Stars.
- Star Trek: The Next Generation celebrates 25 years
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine celebrates 25 years.
30th anniversary Edit
- AMT/Ertl Star Trek model kit (re-)releases with new box-art and complementary cut-away prints of either the USS Enterprise-A or the USS Enterprise-D, never again reissued afterwards.
- Actress Bibi Besch died one day before Star Trek's 30th anniversary
- VOY: "Flashback"
- "The Ship", DS9's 100th episode, airs
- Star Fleet Technical Manual 3rd printing
- Star Trek: 30 Years and Beyond
- Barbie & Ken Star Trek Giftset
- Star Trek: Federation Passport
- Star Trek: These Are the Voyages... pop-up book
- DS9: "Trials and Tribble-ations"
- Star Trek 30 Years
- Star Trek Night (26 August, BBC2 UK)
- Star Trek: The Next Generation celebrates 30 years.
- Bif Bang Pow! The Next Generation-related merchandise releases
35th anniversary Edit
- note: First time use of the actual Original Series title font for an official franchise anniversary logo.
- Star Trek: Enterprise debuts on UPN television
- Star Trek 35th Anniversary Tribute
- Star Trek - 35th Anniversary Rittenhouse Archives trading cards set
- Star Trek Night (16 September, BBC2 UK)
- TV Guide celebratory cover variants (20 April) & July Star Trek 35th Anniversary Tribute special edition
- Star Trek: The Motion Picture celebrates 35 years
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan celebrates 35 years
40th anniversary Edit
- 40 Years of Star Trek (The Space Channel, Canada)
- 40 Years of Star Trek: The Collection (5-7 October, New York City)
- Art Asylum toys
- Creation Entertainment official 40th anniversary Star Trek convention (17-20 August, Las Vegas)
- The Crucible trilogy of TOS novels:
- The Mere Anarchy eBook miniseries:
- The re-release of several classic Star Trek novels, with new cover art:
- Several new books were also released with special "40th Anniversary Special" signage on them:
- The re-release of the Star Trek Logs adaptations of TAS:
- Planet Xpo Star Trek: 40th Anniversary Gala Celebration and Conference (8 September)
- Ships of the Line
- Star Fleet Technical Manual 4th printing
- Star Trek - Celebrating 40 Years - Special Collection
- Star Trek: Legacy
- Remastered Star Trek: The Original Series returns to television
- Many TV events such as SciFi UK's week-long marathon of Star Trek films and episodes. This took place between Monday 4, and Friday 8 September. The best Star Trek episode was voted for by viewers at the end of the week.
- External link
45th anniversary Edit
- Creation Entertainment official 45th anniversary Star Trek conventions
- Legacy – Star Trek 45th anniversary art exhibition (8-20 September, Manchester, UK)
- Trek Nation
50th anniversary Edit
- Star Trek Beyond premieres
- 10 Movie Star Trek Collector's Set - Limited Edition Steelbook Collection
- AMT, Polar Lights and Revell Germany Star Trek model kit (re-)releases with new box-art.
- Bif Bang Pow! The Original Series-related merchandise releases
- Creation Entertainment official 50th anniversary Star Trek convention (31 July–4 August, Las Vegas, USA )
- MAC Cosmetics released a collection of Star Trek themed make-up in August 2016.
- The Fifty-Year Mission: The First 25 Years
- The Fifty-Year Mission: The Next 25 Years
- The trilogy Star Trek: Legacies was released, featuring the main characters from Star Trek: The Original Series as well as Number One in a prominent role.
- Trivial Pursuit: Star Trek 50th Anniversary Edition
- Star Trek: 50 Artists 50 Years
- Star Trek: The Exhibition (8 July-4 November, Blackpool, UK)
- Star Trek: Ships of the Line (2017)
- Star Trek: The Starfleet Academy Experience (13 May, Ottawa, Canada)
- Star Trek 50th Anniversary Official Calendar
- Star Trek 50th Anniversary Risk
- Star Trek 50th Anniversary Special
- Star Trek 50th Anniversary TV and Movie Collection
- Star Trek Encyclopedia (4th edition)
- Star Trek Online released the game's third Expansion, Agents of Yesterday. This expansion would see the addition of a playable faction based on the 23th century-era Starfleet and have players ally themselves with Montgomery Scott, Pavel Chekov and Daniels (Crewman) in bringing a halt to the Temporal Cold War. This expansion would add in a number of playable starships designed like they were in the TOS-era and its first lockbox would offer players a chance to own an alternate reality version of the Constitution-class
- After a two year restoration, the fully restored original eleven-foot USS Enterprise studio model is put back on permanent display in the National Air and Space Museum (NASM) on 1 July 2016, as planned.
Community content is available under CC-BY-NC unless otherwise noted.