(written from a Production point of view)
Stellar Cartography: The Starfleet Reference Library is a licensed reference book and map set, written from an in-universe perspective by Larry Nemecek with art by Allie Ries, Ian Fullwood, and Geoffrey Mandel, and first published by becker&mayer! and 47North in December 2013.
- Publisher's description (first edition)
- The Starfleet Reference Library: Stellar Cartography collects together ten original, never-before-seen large-format maps of the Star Trek universe. Pulled from the cartography archives of Starfleet Academy, these beautifully reproduced maps provide a rare opportunity to view the expanse of Federation space (and beyond) through the multiple lenses of the Galaxy's key players.
- The maps include an ancient Vulcan map, a Klingon Empire map from the pre-Organian Peace Treaty era (in the native Klingon), an official Romulan government map of the Empire, a native Cardassian Union map from the Bajor occupation, along with Federation maps from the modern era. Housed in a handsome clamshell case and paired with a fully-illustrated reference book providing detailed information on planets, systems, and topography, this exclusive collection showcases the Star Trek universe like never before.
- Product Features:
- A tri-fold clamshell case
- 48-page 8" × 10" hardcover book
- Ten 24" × 36" removable maps
- The maps are all based upon Mandel's Star Trek: Star Charts layout details published in 2002, but include titles from different historical eras, and from various non-Federation cultures.
- The first edition includes several updates to the 2002 book, including coverage of the 3rd and 4th seasons of Star Trek: Enterprise, such as the Delphic Expanse, and the prime-universe aspects of J.J. Abrams' Star Trek – with the subspace shock wave destruction of Romulus a late inclusion. The set also lays out a cohesive spatial explanation and strategy behind the Dominion War.
- The second edition adds further locations from Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek: The Animated Series, as well as locations identified in the first season of Star Trek: Discovery, a complete listing of starbases, and a re-translation of the set's Klingonese material.
- Digital artist Timothy Peel noted on Twitter that Stellar Cartography served as "almost a religious relic" in making the Federation star charts seen on Star Trek: Discovery. 
- Stellar Cartography: The Starfleet Reference Library at Memory Beta, the wiki for licensed Star Trek works