(written from a Production point of view)
All-new Star Trek adventures – by the fans, for the fans!
Strange New Worlds III is a short story anthology – the third in the Strange New Worlds series – edited by Dean Wesley Smith (with John J. Ordover and Paula M. Block). Published by Pocket Books, it was first released in May 2000.
The anthology collected selected stories from the third Strange New Worlds writing contest for amateur authors; many of whom went on to write other Star Trek stories.
- From the book jacket
- Back by popular demand – again! Our third anthology featuring original Star Trek, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and Star Trek: Voyager stories written by Star Trek fans, for Star Trek fans!
- Each Strange New Worlds competition draws a greater response than the last. The final selections gathered here were chosen from an overwhelming number of entries by virtue of their originality and style. With wit, compassion, and an affection for all things Star Trek, these brand-new authors take us where Star Trek has never gone before.
- These tales rocket across the length and breadth of Federation time and space, from when Captain Kirk explored the galaxy on the first Starship Enterprise through Captain Picard's USS Enterprise-D and Captain Sisko's Deep Space Nine to Captain Janeway's Starship USS Voyager, with many fascinating stops along the way.
- Find out what happens in the Star Trek universe when fans – like you – take the helm!
- Introduction - The Class of 2000
- by Dean Wesley Smith
Star Trek: The Original Series Edit
- "If I Lose Thee..." by Sarah A. Hoyt and Rebecca Lickiss (first prize winner)
- "The Aliens Are Coming!" by Dayton Ward
- "Family Matters" by Susan Ross Moore
Star Trek: The Next Generation Edit
- "Whatever You Do, Don't Read This Story" by Robert T. Jeschonek (third prize winner)
- "A Private Victory" by Tonya D. Price
- "The Fourth Toast" by Kelly Cairo
- "One of Forty-seven" by E. Catherine Tobler
- "A Q to Swear By" by Shane Zeranski
- "The Change of Seasons" by Logan Page
- "Out of the Box, Thinking" by Jerry M. Wolfe
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Edit
- "Ninety-three Hours" by Kim Sheard (second prize winner)
- "Dorian's Diary" by G. Wood
- "The Bottom Line" by Andrew (Drew) Morby
- "The Best Defense..." by John Takis
- "An Errant Breeze" by Gordon Gross
Star Trek: Voyager Edit
- "The Ones Left Behind" by Mary Wiecek
- "The Second Star" by Diana Kornfeld
- "The Monster Hunters" by Ann Nagy
- "Gift of the Mourners" by Jackee Crowell
If Klingons Wrote Star Trek Edit
- This story, written entirely in Klingonese, was not part of the contest, but commissioned by the anthology editors.
- "jubHa" by Dr. Lawrence Schoen
- Afterword - Hints
- by Dean Wesley Smith
Background information Edit
- Dayton Ward, Robert T. Jeschonek, and Mary Wiecek have gone on to write Star Trek novels and short stories for other anthologies such as No Limits.
- "If I Lose Thee..." appeared in Star Trek Monthly issue 68.
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|Strange New Worlds II||Star Trek: Strange New Worlds||Strange New Worlds IV|