(written from a Production point of view)
- From the book jacket
- Fate: It is an idea as old as life itself. Do our choices shape the future, or is it the other way around? And if the path we walk is predestined – if the way we are to meet our end is knowable – what might that knowledge compel us to do?
- Titan's travels take it to a world at the edge of reason. Orisha is a planet whose people have lived for centuries beneath an unfathomable celestial body in their sky. From the moment it first appeared, the object was thought to be something unnatural, an ill omen that has made them feel watched, exposed, vulnerable – provoking a primal fear that has steered the course of their civilization. The Orishans call it "the Eye," and because it has consistently defied every scientific attempt to decode its true nature, many are convinced it represents an intelligence that is studying their world…and perhaps waiting to destroy it.
- But the secret behind the Eye threatens Titan as well as Orisha… and it holds a special meaning for one member of Captain Riker's crew in particular, whose lifelong quest to balance faith and scientific truth is tested against the harsh, unblinking glare of inevitability.
Memorable quotes Edit
"We speak it here, 'neath starlight's sheen,
One truth that all who live must learn,
From first to last and all between,
Time is the fire in which we burn."
- - 'El-Aurian proverb
Background information Edit
- This was author Thorne's first Star Trek novel.
- The cover of the novel features the winning design from the Titan design competition created by Sean Tourangeau, and the novel includes fold-out schematics of the design. The 3D mesh used for the cover was created by Ellery Connell.
- An extract from this novel appeared in Star Trek Magazine issue 135.
- Cover art by Cliff Nielsen, design by John Vairo, Jr..
- The storylines of the Titan crew continue in the Star Trek: Destiny crossover trilogy.
- Canon characters listed below are linked to the main article about them. Non-canon characters are not linked, but those that recurred, appearing or being mentioned in more than one story, are defined further in Star Trek: Titan characters.
- William T. Riker
- Christine Vale (β)
- First officer
- Deanna Troi
- Diplomatic Officer/Counselor
- Security and Tactical officer
- Shenti Yisec Eres Ree (β)
- Chief medical officer
- Xin Ra-Havreii (β)
- Chief engineer
- Melora Pazlar
- Stellar Cartography
- Orilly Malar (β)
- member of the Irriol species; Engineer
- Y'Lira Modan (β)
- member of the Selenean species; Communications
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|Orion's Hounds||Star Trek: Titan|| Over a Torrent Sea|