Absence in First ContactEdit
Any ideas about why New Zealand was absent from Star Trek: First Contact? I suggest that global warming had flooded the islands at this time, but technology advanced enough to reduce the flood waters and restore the country. zsingaya 22:22, 17 Jun 2005 (UTC)
- Kind of difficult to reconcile that, it was seen in VOY and mentioned in DS9. Is there a picture of it here on Memory Alpha? Excelsior 22:23, 17 Jun 2005 (UTC)
I could find one, I've got the DVD somewhere... anyway, if New Zealand was flooded, wouldn't the UK also have been flooded as well... zsingaya 22:26, 17 Jun 2005 (UTC)
There you are, look... no New Zealand! zsingaya 22:38, 17 Jun 2005 (UTC)
- I know what happened, the criminals they put there stole the whole damn island! Alex Peckover 07:14, 2 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- Sorry to reignite an old discussion but are you sure New Zealand isn't hidden behind the top of the console at the bottom of the ST:FC screenshot? - Salak 17:32, 15 March 2006 (UTC)
- Yes, that's what I was just thinkin' about... If you compare the screenshot with the map from Wikipedia you'll see that New Zealand is much farer away from Australia than that it could have been shown in that scene.
- It sure is missing on that TOS-"Map" ... well actually it's not even a map but an emblem. Even Japan is very small. : [defchris] :: [ talk ] : 01:18, 30 October 2006 (UTC)
Hi, I'm new here (and on editing wikis) and from Christchurch, New Zealand.
I'm quite sure that (what is referred to on this page) "The 24th century starship, USS Wellington, was named after the former capital of the islands." is incorrect.
The Duke of Wellington, a very famous man in British history, is by far the more likely rationale behind the name.
Unfortunately, it would not likely be New Zealand's current capital city that the Starfleet vessel was named after. In fact, Wellington, NZ was named after the Duke - as were many Royal Navy and Royal New Zealand Navy ships.
His details are here:
I would be open to any comment :)