On some pages, I've linked "Vulcan Ministry of Security" or "Defense" (etc.) to V'Shar, as it seems like they're the same thing. Would anyone be opposed to redirects to V'Shar? Satok was the Minister of Security, and it's called the Ministry of Security, it doesn't seem like a stretch that they'd be the same thing. - AJHalliwell 02:21, 15 Aug 2005 (UTC)
- So, is the Vulcan Security Directorate (with Chief Investigator Stel) the same thing also? It seemed to exist at the same time as the Ministry, so it could just be another name for it, or maybe they were so "warlike" that they had a Directorate and a Ministry.--Tim Thomason 06:59, 12 Sep 2005 (UTC)
- I think the ENT references should be kept separate from the TNG references, just like Starfleet and Starfleet (Earth) are kept separate, especially when it comes to agencies in existence during pre-Federation eras. I think the only two TNG Vulcan security references that come to mind are from "Unification II" and "Gambit, Part II" -- one appeared to be in defense of the planet, the other was the V'Shar. --Alan del Beccio 07:07, 12 Sep 2005 (UTC)
To clarify some of these references (in-universe chronological order):
- Reed: "T'Pol knows a few Klingon officials from her days in the Ministry of Security."
- The Seventh:
- T'Pol: "I was contacted by the Vulcan High Command last night. They've requested my services regarding a matter of security."
- T'Pol: "Before I joined the Science Directorate I was assigned to the Ministry of Security. I was trained in reconnaissance and retrieval."
- T'Pol & Menos: (less specifically relevant references to "the Ministry..." )
- The Forge:
- V'Las: "This is Stel, Chief Investigator of our Security Directorate."
- Stel: "The Security Directorate will take charge of the investigation."
- Stel: "This is now a Vulcan Security operation. We'll inform Ambassador Soval of any developments that concern you."
- V'Las: "You're to surrender all classified materials to the Security Directorate before leaving."
- Unification II:
- Worf: "The Vulcan defense vessels are also responding."
- Gambit, Part II:
Gambit identifies V'Shar as synonymous with Vulcan Security, headed by a Minister. In "The Forge," Stel suggests the Security Directorate and Vulcan Security are synonymous. My interpretation of the "Vulcan defense vessels" is that there's not really any organizational details we can pull from that, aside their listing on Unnamed starships. None of the instances mention the year 2161 or the founding of the Federation.
I would be curious if someone has Star Trek Encyclopedia fourth ed. how these references are treated.
I suggest if we're conservatively keeping references straightforward and separate, separate Security Directorate and Ministry of Security, and put "Vulcan security may also refer to ___" at the top of all three V'Shar, Ministry, and Directorate. I'd suggest the insignia be renamed "Vulcan Ministry of Security." - AJ Halliwell (talk) 14:43, June 5, 2020 (UTC)