(written from a Production point of view)
The Deep Space Log Book: A First Season Companion is a paperback reference book published by Boxtree in the United Kingdom in 1994. The unofficial book focuses on the first season of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.
- From the book jacket
- Somewhere on the fringes of the galaxy lies the Deep Space Station, home to the latest intrepid Trek crew: Commander Benjamin Sisko, First Officer Major Kira Nerys, Chief Operations Officer Miles O'Brien, Dr. Julian Bashir, Science Officer Jadzia Dax, the shape-shifting Security Chief Odo, Ferengi bar-keep Quark and Sisko's son, Jake.
- You'll meet all of them in The Deep Space Logbook: A First Season Companion, providing a behind-the-scenes in-depth guide to the first year of Deep Space. Authors Mark A. Altman and Edward Gross, the creative force behind the New Voyages and Captains' Logs series, present full credits, original airdates, summaries and reviews of each episode.
- Those interviewed for the Deep Space Logbook include Avery Brooks, Michael Piller, Nana Visitor, Rick Berman, Colm Meaney - David Carson, Terry Farrell, Paul Lynch, Rene Auberjonois, Peter Allan Fields, Rick Kolbe, Siddig El Fadil, Ira Steven Behr, John de Lancie, Cirroc Lofton, David Livingston, Les Landau, Rob Legato, Cliff Bole, Armin Shimerman - and more.
- Journey to the edge of the final frontier!
- "The Golden Child"
- Rick Berman interview
- Michael Piller interview
- "Welcome to Bajor"
- "Singing the Sound Stage Blues"
- "As the Space Station Turns"
- "Get Thee to the Gamma Quadrant"
- Season one episode guide
- The DS9 comic
- "The Next Generation on Deep Space Nine"
- "A Day in the Life"
- Q & A Session
Cover gallery Edit
- A section of the book features information on Malibu Comics' Star Trek: Deep Space Nine comic series and features an interview with Tom Mason.
- The book was followed by The Deep Space Log Book: A Second Season Companion. The third and fourth seasons are focused on in Captains' Logs Supplemental - The Unauthorized Guide to the New Trek Voyages.