(written from a Production point of view)
- From the book jacket
- Bajor is in flames. The corridors of Terok Nor echo with the sounds of battle. It is the end of the Cardassian Occupation – and the beginning of the greatest epic adventure in the saga of Deep Space 9…
- Six years later, with the Federation losing ground in its war against the Dominion, the galaxy's greatest smugglers – including the beautiful and enigmatic Vash – rendezvous on Deep Space 9. Their objective: a fabled lost Orb of the Prophets unlike any other, rumored to be the key to unlocking a second wormhole in Bajoran space – a second Celestial Temple.
- Almost immediately, mysterious events plague the station: Odo arrests Quark for murder; Jake and Nog lead Chief O'Brien to an eerie holosuite in a section of the station not on any schematic; and a Cardassian scientist whom even the Obsidian Order once feared makes an unexpected appearance. With all those events tied to a never-before-told story of the Cardassian withdrawal, Captain Benjamin Sisko faces the most dangerous challenge of his career: Unless he can uncover the secret of the lost Orb, what began with the fall of Terok Nor will end with the destruction of Deep Space 9… or worse.
Captain Picard could take us to a planet in trouble, we'd show the flag, do what we could to resolve things, and then we'd move on, knowing that three other ships and half the Federation's bureaucracy would be in our wake to follow up on what we had done. But here, staying in one sector, dealing with the same worlds over so many years, there's no chance to move on. Captain Sisko has to live with the consequences of his decisions. It calls for a... very creative approach to command".
- The audiobook version was abridged by George Truett.
- The events of this book take place just prior to "Tears of the Prophets".
- This novel contained Chapter Eight of the serialized novel Starfleet: Year One.
- An extract from this novel appeared in Star Trek Monthly issue 65.
- Benjamin Sisko
- Jadzia Dax
- Jake Sisko
- Jean-Luc Picard
- Thomas Riker
- Weyoun 5
- Benny Russell
- Vic Fontaine
- Miles O'Brien
- Winn Adami
- Elim Garak
- Julian Bashir
- Kira Nerys
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|The Lives of Dax||Pocket DS9
|The War of the Prophets|
|First novel in series||Millennium|