(written from a Production point of view)
As a child, Michael Burnham learns to be brave in the face of the unknown, from a story told by her father about a little girl long ago who fought against her own fears.
- Please obey copyright policy; do not copy material from other sources without permission.
Memorable quotes Edit
"Computer, aluminum... I mean... lu."
"That’s what I said, make it brighter."
- - Michael Burnham and her father Mike Burnham, as she struggles to turn the lights on after awaking afraid
"But, how can I tell everyone that they don’t have to be afraid?"
"You must show them"
- - The Girl to The Being, as gives her the gift of the universe
Background information Edit
- The title of this episode was first revealed in a trailer released on 20 July 2019 at San Diego Comic-Con.
- The release date was announced on 5 October 2019 at New York Comic-Con. 
- This is one of two animated Short Treks in the second season.
- To date, this is the shortest episode of Short Treks, clocking in at just under eight minutes.
- Alex Kurtzman stated that this episode and "Ephraim and Dot" are both "tied to Discovery, but in interesting and surprising ways." 
- This short, along with "Ephraim and Dot" which premiered at the same time, are the first animated episodes in the Star Trek franchise since the last episode of Star Trek: The Animated Series, "The Counter-Clock Incident", first aired in 1974.
- The official episode description describes the spatial disturbance seen around the space station as a "lightning storm in space". That exact phrase was a plot point in Star Trek, where the uniqueness of a phenomenon described as such tipped off James T. Kirk that what he was seeing was linked to the incident in which his father was killed. Lightning-like phenomena in space were also seen in the region the USS Discovery found itself in "Calypso".
- Young Michael has a plush doll strongly resembling Ephraim, the tardigrade from "Ephraim and Dot".
Voice cast Edit
Africa; aluminum; Being; bow and arrow; constellation; elder; Elder, the; elephant; explorer; farming; firefly; first people; galaxy; Girl, the; girl who made the stars, the; hunter-gatherer; lion; navigation; night beast; night light; NX-class; queen; rhinoceros; shadow; stars; Starbase 1-type (unnamed); stuffed animal; tardigrade; warrior; zebra
| Previous episode:|
"Ephraim and Dot"
| Star Trek: Short Treks|
| Next episode:|
"Children of Mars"