(written from a Production point of view)
Captain Kirk is stranded in a strange new Klingon Empire – one hundred years in the future!
- From the book jacket
- In a remote area of Federation space, the Enterprise picks up an urgent distress signal – from a Klingon vessel! Tracking the S.O.S., the crew finds the Klingon cruiser Mauler, trapped in a dimensional storm of unprecedented power. Yet paradoxically, the ship refuses both the Enterprise's call and the offers of help.
- Determined to discover what the Klingons are doing in Federation space, Kirk beams aboard their ship with a security team, just as the storm flares to its highest intensity. As the bridge crew watches in horror, Mauler vanishes from the Enterprise's viewscreen.
- And James T. Kirk awakens… one hundred years in the future.
Memorable quotes Edit
"… Klanth, commanding. Failure of vessel structure accelerating. Destruction of Mauler imminent. Crew conduct exemplary. Request commendations to be sent to the clans of all. I personally commend all of us to the gods. Survive and succeed!"
- - Klanth, broadcasting the Mauler's distress call
- The novel was published just a few months after the premiere of Star Trek: The Next Generation, which showed the Federation and Klingon Empire at peace, the same as portrayed in the book.
- The cover art of the novel portrays Kirk as he appeared in the 2260s while Captain of the Enterprise, meaning that the "future" he sees would be in the 2360s, relatively the same time as Star Trek: The Next Generation. However, the novel also gives strong indication that Kirk is from a later year, possibly closer to the 2280s, meaning that the Klingon future is meant to portray a date closer to 2385. The Star Trek Fiction Timeline in Voyages of Imagination places the story in 2276.
- James T. Kirk
- Montgomery Scott
- Leonard McCoy
- Hikaru Sulu
- Pavel Chekov
- Ginny Crandall
- Starfleet officer at the Weapons and Defense station when the Enterprise encountered the storm.
- Tholian space
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|#39: The Yesterday Saga: Time for Yesterday|| Pocket TOS|
|#41: The Three-Minute Universe|
|The Final Reflection (#10)||Titan Books release order||The Vulcan Academy Murders (#12)|