(written from a Production point of view)
Can Ro Laren save Bajor from a deadly plague?
Wrath of the Prophets is a Pocket DS9 novel – #20 in the numbered series – written by Peter David, Michael Jan Friedman and Robert Greenberger. Published by Pocket Books, it was first released in May 1997.
- From the book jacket
- When a fatal disease spreads over Bajor, threatening the entire planet with extinction, Captain Sisko must accept aid from an unexpected source: Ro Laren, Starfleet officer turned Maquis renegade. Major Kira and Ro reluctantly join forces to track the alien plague to its source – even as the disease claims new victims on Deep Space 9 itself. Dr. Bashir struggles to find a cure, but the secret of the virulent invader may hide deep in the shadows of Dax's past.
- This is the third collaboration between authors David, Friedman and Greenberger, after Doomsday World (which also included Carmen Carter) and The Disinherited. There were intentions to follow this story up with a Pocket VOY novel (as hinted at in this novel's Authors' Notes), but it was turned down by Pocket editor John Ordover. (Voyages of Imagination, p. 242) The authors write in their introduction: "This book was tougher than its predecessors (Doomsday World and The Disinherited still in print, so go buy them) in that we had to find a reasonable point in the unfolding saga of Deep Space Nine to place the story. As you'll see, this takes place after Sisko becomes a captain, but before Worf's arrival on the station," placing it between "The Adversary" and "The Way of the Warrior".
- Peter David conceived of the core concept, while Greenberger suggested using Varis Sul. Friedman took up the Sisko subplot, and Greenberger the Dax/Bashir storyline. (Voyages of Imagination, p. 242)
- Peter David commented: "We were looking at [the novel] as a straight-up political adventure, but some people may see it as an AIDS parable." ("Stellar Scribe", Star Trek Monthly issue 29, p. 52)
- Although Ro Laren becomes familiar to the senior staff of Deep Space 9 in this novel, this meeting is not explicitly recalled later in the "relaunch" series where she replaces Odo as DS9 head of security. Ro also met the DS9 crew in the comic "Friend and Foe Alike".
- A review in Kliatt stated: "The tripartite literary collaboration has produced a very enjoyable Star Trek novel." (Kliatt Young Adult Paperback Book Guide, Volume 31, 1997)
- Canon characters listed below are linked to the main article about them. Non-canon characters are not linked, but those that recurred, appearing or being mentioned in more than one story, are defined further in Pocket DS9 characters.
Regular and recurring characters
- Benjamin Sisko
- Starfleet captain, the CO of Deep Space 9.
- Kira Nerys
- Julian Bashir
- Jadzia Dax
- Jake Sisko
- Miles O'Brien
- Ro Laren
|Previous novel:||Series||Next novel:|
|#19: The Tempest||Pocket DS9
|#21: Trial by Error|